Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sooner (or later)

After two weeks in a glide pattern against Kansas and Texas Tech, it's back to the grindstone for Aggie fans tonight when Oklahoma visits TAMU at Kyle Field. The Sooners lost to the Aggies in 2002, the last quality win of Slocum's tenure. Since then, OU has run off seven straight victories (2003-2009), including some of the most lopsided, humiliating thrashings the Aggies have ever suffered through.

Tonight, they're favored by less than a TD. Whether that's a sign the oddsmakers respect the Aggies or lack confidence in OU is unknown, but eventually A&M needs to reach a point where it's never a home underdog.

Maybe the line is small because the Aggies will probably start Tannehill at quarterback. He's done well in his first extended time at the position, but the defense he'll face tonight is a few cuts above the ones Kansas and Tech fielded.

Both teams have lost to Missouri: Oklahoma's game was competitive, and A&M's wasn't. As good a reason as any to give the edge today to the Sooners. I guess I'll watch as long as A&M can stay close, but it's too bad the game is being carried on Fox.

Added 10:12 pm: I stayed with the game until OU scored to narrow their deficit to 19-17 -- thinking, "Oh shit, here we go again." The Aggies to that point had played their usual televised game: a few brilliant plays mixed with just enough garbage (penalties and turnovers) to have me pulling my hair out. I hit the record button on the DVR and switched the channel to ESPN, where Kansas State was kicking the snot out of the longhorns. Maybe the best decision I made all day, because the Aggies got serious again and polished off the Sooners 33-19. DVR, here I come. I usually enjoy Aggie football more when I can watch with the relaxed mind of a man who already knows the final score. Taking out Texas Tech and OU on consecutive Saturdays is sweet, and the longhorns taking gas (39-14) for the fifth time makes it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer walks in Texas

Judging by the amount of water on driveways and sidewalks and in the street, some Texans seem to think you can grow concrete and asphalt using lawn sprinklers.

Six-Word Memoir

Most of my balloons were popped.

The head butter

My photo
The less you know, the happier we'll both be.

BACKSPIN