Monday, July 7, 2008

Admiring excellent work

Tonight HBO showed the last two episodes of the John Adams miniseries. I was able to again see the final episode covering the years from the end of the Adams presidency until his death. Adams loses his daughter to cancer, followed by the death of his beloved wife, Abigail, some years later. His son, John Quincy, becomes the 6th president. This all happens in a matter of minutes, thanks to the time compression required by television.

Adams and Thomas Jefferson were close friends during the revolution and allies during Washington's presidency, then became estranged over political differences. In tonight's episode they reconcile and exchange a series of eloquent letters. As the fiftieth anniversary of Independence Day approaches (July 4th, 1826), both men are in ill health and near death. Jefferson dies on the 4th, followed some hours later by Adams.

Being more unschooled in history than I should be, the first time I watched this conclusion I was disappointed that such dramatic license had been taken, cheapening the overall effect of the production. Then I was delighted to learn the ending was historically correct. Fact is both stranger than, and cooler than, fiction.

Let's just say the final episode of John Adams leaves me with a lump in my throat and let it go at that. And if we still had leaders as capable as those portrayed in this film, the country would be better off today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer walks in Texas

Judging by the amount of water on driveways and sidewalks and in the street, some Texans seem to think you can grow concrete and asphalt using lawn sprinklers.

Six-Word Memoir

Most of my balloons were popped.

The head butter

My photo
The less you know, the happier we'll both be.

BACKSPIN