Monday, April 26, 2010

Tangelos

During the holiday season, bad weather, menu temptations, and time-consuming family events combined to bust my normal routine of diet and exercise. As a result, my weight started creeping toward the dreaded 180 pound mark, and on March 3rd I finally reached it. I needed to get serious about calories again, and start watching what I ate and when I ate it. One change was adding more fruit to my plan, and this month I developed an appetite for tangelos, which I believe are a hybrid between a tangerine and a grapefruit. The best thing about a tangelo is that it has enough pulp to provide dietary fiber but unlike an orange, has no seeds.


Some tangelos are easy to peel with my fingers and some aren't; some are fairly sweet while others verge on sour. Basically, individual tangelos fall into one of four categories: (A) sweet and easily peeled, (B) sour and easily peeled, (C) sweet and hard to peel, and (D) sour and hard to peel. I think of Group D tangelos as the Tea Party members of the citrus world --- a waste of time and a pain in the ass.


Tangelos are a little pricey, so I want to choose them wisely --- but like people, you can't look at one and easily predict what you're getting. Some picture-perfect tangelos I've eaten were Tea Partiers, and some with minor blemishes were Category A all the way.


It's taken a few weeks but my weight is under 174 pounds again, and I think 172 or less is possible if I stay focused. Tangelos weren't totally responsible for the weight loss, but they damned sure didn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer walks in Texas

Judging by the amount of water on driveways and sidewalks and in the street, some Texans seem to think you can grow concrete and asphalt using lawn sprinklers.

Six-Word Memoir

Most of my balloons were popped.

The head butter

My photo
The less you know, the happier we'll both be.

BACKSPIN