Sunday, June 22, 2014

Hot Weather and Football Fever

The month of June has been a bitch so far. I hate the long (DST) hours of sunshine, the heat, and the humidity. On top of that, I've spent nearly the entire month trying to get things repaired or replaced so that my life will be as comfortable as possible during the long, humid days.

There's one good thing about June --- it's the month when all the college and professional football preview magazines appear on newsstands, and I show my first real symptoms of football fever. Until a few years ago, I bought nearly every magazine available. Now, though, I limit my intake to four national college previews (Lindy, Athlon, Sporting News, and USA Today) and one NFL preview (Sporting News). That's still too much to read completely, but at least the stacks are smaller.

It's not surprising that the magazines all predict Texas A&M will slip in the standings in its first year of post-Manziel SEC competition. Alabama and Auburn are expected to rule the conference, and the Aggies are trailing Georgia and LSU as well. USA Today and Sporting News have A&M ranked 18th nationally, and the Aggies are 29th in Lindy and 34th in Athlon. Nobody rates them higher than 4th in the SEC West, and Athlon has them rated as the 6th place team in the division, ahead of Arkansas.

USA Today predicts A&M will finish the season 9-3 (5-3 in the conference). Athlon sees a 7-5 overall record (3-5 conference). Personally, I'd be delighted with a nine-win season, considering that most of the 2012-2013 offense will be suiting up in the NFL this fall. I have the games against Alabama, Auburn, LSU and South Carolina penciled in as definite losses, and the Aggies would need to sweep the remaining games plus the bowl to attain nine Ws. Realistically, I think 7-6 (with a win in a second-tier bowl) is probably the best I can hope for until reinforcements arrive at most of the O positions and every D position.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer walks in Texas

Judging by the amount of water on driveways and sidewalks and in the street, some Texans seem to think you can grow concrete and asphalt using lawn sprinklers.

Six-Word Memoir

Most of my balloons were popped.

The head butter

My photo
The less you know, the happier we'll both be.

BACKSPIN