Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Judicial Activism

When I have fantasies about the ideal federal government, I imagine the executive branch in the control of one party, with the other party controlling at least the House or the Senate. In my fantasy, the judicial branch is non-partisan, meaning a judge's decisions couldn't be predicted based on his/her party affiliation. Remember, I said we're talking about dreams, not realities.

What we have now is a reasonable approximation of my divided government ideal, except the judicial branch isn't free of partisanship. It's obvious the GOP is counting on their 5-4 advantage in the US Supreme Court to abolish health care reform legislation. Nothing has changed: Judicial activism is still defined as any court ruling one party doesn't agree with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer walks in Texas

Judging by the amount of water on driveways and sidewalks and in the street, some Texans seem to think you can grow concrete and asphalt using lawn sprinklers.

Six-Word Memoir

Most of my balloons were popped.

The head butter

My photo
The less you know, the happier we'll both be.

BACKSPIN