Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Kicking back a little

Politics started tying me in knots in 1994 when Newt Gingrich and Tom DeLay and the rest of the GOP scum took over the House and Senate, and immediately used their majority status to launch an endless series of investigations designed to result in Clinton's impeachment. The fact that Clinton did dumbass things to facilitate the process made it worse.

As if things weren't bad enough, the 2000 election happened and a waste of oxygen that anyone could predict would be among the worst presidents ever got elected by one Clarence Thomas vote in the Supreme Court. The Kerry debacle in 2004 compounded the problem and added four more years to America's sentence.

Election 2008 started out looking like more of the same, with Hillary and Barack the frontrunners for the title Next Unelectable Democrat. Then McCain dragged Trig's mom and Joe the Plumber into the mix and the dumbing-down continued. It's amazing that after fourteen years of this shit, I have any sanity left at all.

After last night's election results, I feel like a weight's been lifted from my shoulders. The Repubs have been returned to political minority status at the federal level, although they're still running the show in my red state. Barry may be a great president or he may fail, but he's still an improvement over what we've had since January 2001. The commentariat is already starting to drone about all the things that might go wrong. As for me, I'm taking a deep breath, kicking off my shoes, and relaxing awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer walks in Texas

Judging by the amount of water on driveways and sidewalks and in the street, some Texans seem to think you can grow concrete and asphalt using lawn sprinklers.

Six-Word Memoir

Most of my balloons were popped.

The head butter

My photo
The less you know, the happier we'll both be.

BACKSPIN